Getting Back To Normal After Being An Addict
It takes commitment for a person to completely stop the use of drugs in their lives if they have been addicts. Engaging in routine activities and committing to goals are few of the good distractions in order to stay clean from day to day.
It is easier to stay clean in a rehab centre because the environment is controlled, devoid of any factors that had earlier pushed toward addiction.
Rehab can provide a great foundation for security along with the tools that are required to heal and cope even after the individual has left the facility.
Getting back to your life can be exhilarating after spending considerable time in rehab, but expect new challenges to come your way as you try to stay clean.
Being able to recognize your stressors or triggers proves very helpful in maintaining status quo. Abstinence maintenance is made less difficult by this fact.
Managing Urges And Triggers Post Rehabilitation
It is usually challenging to change surroundings from the rehabilitation centre back to staying at home.
One constantly gets more desires to use the drugs after they have left rehab.
Company of old acquaintances, being in the midst of old surroundings, and specific emotions might lure you into reaching out for the substance to which you were earlier addicted to.
In order to prevent and deal with promoters of relapse after rehabilitation, the following can be done
- Social Backing Should Be Looked For
- Surrounding yourselves with sober people along with people who could have your best interests at heart and want to provide you the help needed to become successful.
- You can also join the groups in your locality.
- Modify Your Environment
- Seek the help from friends or families to ensure that your home is sterilized from things that would remind or trigger your addiction tendencies.
- You can also keep off environments where there drugs are being sold.
- Set Goals For The Future
- Some support the idea that setting objectives or new plans for the future could help you become stronger in resisting urges or temptations.
- One is bound to keep off the drugs if they have a plan for their future and will work to achieve it.
- Don't Miss Group Or Personal Therapy Sessions
- In case you are supposed to meet your physician or counsellor, ensure you don't miss them.
- The temptation to skip the meetings or beginning to feel that you can handle matters yourselves will certainly be there, but it will be easier to keep away or manage temptations when you receive health and support from the professionals who guided you in the first place.
- Appreciation at every time.
- Recognition of good things we have going for us is more possible when we have a grateful heart.
- Consider beginning a journal of gratitude and write down five moments every day that made you feel happy and fulfilled.
- Replace Bad Habits With New Better Ones
- The change of lifestyle can take sometime to fully get the groove of it but it's all worth it in the end.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Taking Part In Clean Activities Instead Of Using
It is critical that you replace your old habits with new positive habits, which will be helpful during the recovery.
Clean activities can be a lot of fun too and you don't need drugs to enjoy a good time.
Call us immediately on 0800 772 3971 if you want to revisit rehabilitation centre or you want to sustain your newly found abstinence.
You can keep yourself mentally busy with these positive activities to stay clean after rehab
- Mind reflections
- Visit a shop for arts and crafts
- Pursuing a degree or going back to school
- Learn a new language
- Plant a garden
- Offer humanitarian services
Seek Outlets That Provide A Community Sense
After leaving the rehab, there are many support group that you can register with and continue being clean. These support groups consist of people that share similar experience and recovery journey and being with them will help you a lot.
Participation in numerous types of continuing care, which include therapy, check-ups, 12-step meetings and alternative support groups is also recommended.
Partying Around Drugs And Alcohol While Remaining In Control
Those that are freshly out of rehab should totally run from enticing atmosphere because they do not have strong resolutions like those that have achieved abstinence for quite sometimes. The urge to drink can overpower someone and make them relapse on their recovery.
You can, however, resist this temptation when you are in such kind of an environment.
Avoiding temptation to drink in social gatherings
- Try not to go alone; instead take someone who's close to you and who doesn't drink.
- Only pick non-alcoholic beverages and keep them in your hands to keep you occupied.
- Minimise the time you spend within the party by arriving late or leaving early.
- Depart immediately if you begin to feel uncomfortable or tempted.
Why It Is Necessary To Get Sober And Remain That Way
Better state of the circulatory and hepatic systems, abundance of energy, and ability to rest well are some of the numerous health merits. Embarking on a sober life is definitely worth the difficulty and the reasons go far beyond the physical benefits which will become attainable. This include
- The company of good friends and family
- Saving money
- Clarity in mind and new excitement for life
- Ability to focus on other pleasurable activities
- Looking and feeling better
- Becoming an example and a source of anticipation for others who could be struggling with an addiction
Giving up an addiction, whether of alcohol or any other drug, is the most difficult thing. The devotion and struggle might be throughout one's life it is never simple and fast. Overpowering situations that are challenging reveals power that you never knew you have when you fight for abstinence.
Every journey always begins with a small step in the right direction. When you begin to feel the temptations to revert back to your old habits, you must make an effort to remember why you wanted to achieve sobriety in the first place.