Allowable Things To Bring Inside The Treatment Facility
Rehab treatment centres permit certain things and prohibit certain items; you should know the policy of your rehab treatment facility beforehand.
Rehab centres have various policies, which are strict about what you can bring with you during the treatment. A list of allowed objects and forbidden ones is presented by most clinics.
The admittance procedure usually starts as soon as you get to the rehab. Part of the procedure is the inspection of your personal effects to make sure that there are no contrabands and other prohibited objects are smuggled in. While other centres provide you with the checklist of what you can bring.
Only the things that you really require are allowed in the centres. Different centres have different policies in place for extra stuff.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Looking For Packing Info
If you are not sure about bringing an item or have any questions about what you should be packing you should be having a look on the website of the rehab for a "what to bring" page. You can also get this info on their website. Many centres give their future patients a packing checklist which you can refer to. If you are still unable to find the information required you are advised to contact the admissions office of the rehab. They should be able to help you with that concern. You can also receive clarification on other policies or guidance about the admission process.
Items Most Recommended By Rehab Centres To Bring With You
The list varies from centre to centre.
For the better part, you are recommended to carry the following
- Names, contact information, and addresses of people you want to be notified or involved in the process whenever required.
- Jewels like your wedding ring or a watch that you wear every day and deem as necessary.
- Except for the above you are advised to leave all valuables at home.
- A clock with an alarm but not one with radio.
- In other facilities, all necessities are provided and you are required to bring only yourself.
- The medications that the patient will be using.
- If you are taking a liquid drug, the bottle must be sealed.
- It is recommended to carry the names of every medication you are taking and its dose with you.
- Some money but not a lot of it.
- Credit cards that will be used to cater for the expenses inside the rehab.
- Identification cards and insurance cards where they are necessary.
- Call cards may be required in cases where long distance calls are accessible only through it.
- A notebook or newspaper.
- Envelopes and stamps.
- Photographs of friends or loved ones you hold dear.
- Books and magazines will probably be given by your clinic.
- In case you insist on bringing your own reading material, they are to be recovery related, self-help and spiritual materials.
- Tip It is better if you bring paperbacks than hardcovers because they are lighter.
What Type Of Clothing Is Necessary
It is common for rehabs to have strict dress policy in place and that's why you should check with the centre first. In case where you are not sure, consider to bring articles that you can use in layering in case of cold weather.
Bear in mind that the space within your room could be limited, and therefore, you are advised not to over pack.
You should carry enough clothing for a week because you will have access to a laundry machine within the centres. Bring everyday clothes that require no special washing process.
You should carry along about seven days of comfortable and with appropriate clothing, including the following
- Shoes Comfortable shoes for everyday use, tennis shoes for activities/sports and flip-flops for the shower.
- Shirts If you have tank tops you should also be looking forward to packing some cardigans to wear along with them to comply with the dress code of the centres.
- Shorts The dress code of the centres will determine the length of the shorts.
- Carry a few clothes that will be used for important events.
- Bathing suit Choose one-piece suits for woman and trunks for men.
- A coat/jacket.
- Bathing robe.
- A belt, if needed.
- A hat some centres do not permit hats indoors.
Beauty And Hygiene Products To Pack
All personal hygiene and beauty items have to be 100% alcohol-free in most rehabilitation centres. However, these requirements varies from one centre to another. Aerosols are not allowed
Personal hygiene and beauty products that last for a month have to be carried along and they are
- Body sprays
- A toothpaste and toothbrush
- Hair styling products [pump hairspray only]
- Hair brush
- Products used mostly by females
- Shaving cream
- Body lotion
Items That Are Prohibited In Rehab
Almost all treatment centres have a list of forbidden items and they enforce a set of rules. These items don't guarantee the proper surroundings for your retrieval and aren't safe The names of items in the prohibited items list vary from facility to facility; however nearly every centre prohibits these
- Liquor and any form of drug
- Narcotics and prohibited prescriptions
- Arms (pistols, blades, scissors, piercing objects, etc.)
- Unsuitable videos
- Foods and drinks
- Alcohol based toiletries and personal effects
- E cigarettes
- Unapproved or previously opened OTC medications.
- Volatile substances like nail polish or polish remover and the likes
- Video games and DVDs
- Games equipment
- Skimpy clothes
- Cleaning supplies [bleach, ammonia, etc.]
- Electronic gadgets
- Gaming materials
- Candles and incense
- Statement shirts with explicit or statements in reference to drugs, violence or substance abuse
Playing cards, games and movies may be surprising contrabands for you but rules are rules. However, the items are prohibited with the intention to help you to avoid distractions and to provide you an opportunity to remain focused on your recovery. At times, your centre will provide these items
Most centres don't encourage consumption of too much caffeine and sugar, and that's why outside food and drinks are prohibited. You will be provided with three meals a day, snacks and beverages. You should inform your facility beforehand in case you are on a special diet.
These Items Are Allowed By Some But Prohibited By Others
Because policies differ from centre to centre, it is possible to find that some items are allowed in one and not in another. You may wonder but some centres allow these items inside the facility
- Smartphones and Laptops
- You will be able to use these items at certain times if they are permitted by your clinic.
- Don't leave your charger behind.
- You may be allowed to smoke at some time.
- You might not be allowed to bring more than a specific number of cartons.
- Vitamins and Legal Medicines
- All the medicine should either be prescribed or new.
- Chewing Gums
- Gums too should be unopened and sealed during admission.
- MP3 and CD Players
- Devices without speakers or Internet access may be allowed by some centres.
- Cameras should also not access the internet.
- Throwaway or Electric Razors
- Razors are considered as dangerous and some centres are known to prohibit them completely.
- Disposable razors, however, are more often than not allowed.
- Nail Clippers
- Nail clippers may be banned by some centres, but this is not a common habit.
- Objects That Make You Feel At Home
- You could be allowed to bring in your own bedding, pillows and some other stuff to make your room more comfortable.
- Don't pack any of these objects without contacting your clinic first.
Can I Get Prohibited Items Back That I Accidentally Took
If you arrive at the centres with some prohibited items without realisation you do not have to remain concerned. The personnel will just endorse it to your accompanying friend or loved one. Many others will hold the items for 24 hours until someone comes over to pick them up. Other centres will just keep them for your and return the same once you have cleared the program and leave the centre.
You are likely to travel alone if you are commuting by air and so there won't be anyone to take the prohibited items home. Make sure you review the regulations of your centre by calling them. You also need to be sure of the safety of your items if they are not allowed inside the facility. In case they do not do temporary safe keeping, then inquire if they can facilitate shipment to someone you know.
Make Packing For Rehab Simple Read and stick to the policies of your centre; in case of a doubt, call them up. Ask for a checklist whenever available so you can use as a guide. Don't pack too many things; only carry things you need.
Find Support Now
There are a lot of facilities that permits you to personal items to decorate or personalize your space. Talk to our experts who can assist you in your goal of locating a suitable treatment centre.
We can connect you with one if you get in touch with us on 0800 772 3971 .