What Do My Loved Ones Do
It's very natural to be worried about your kids, partner or pets while you're in therapy, but there are several ways to make sure they're cared for when you are in rehab.
Addict's family is one of the main worries they face when they require a treatment; they are concerned about their financial security, where they will live and if they can contact them once they get into treatment.
These challenges have solutions and learning the options open to you will help you make the right choice for your family and yourself.
When you strategize well and enquire for aid before beginning therapy, your blood relation will be excellently cared for through your whole treatment.
- Who will handle my kids when I visit therapy?
- Suppose I have no relative to take care of them, what next?
- Are there better alternatives?
- Can my family pay me a visit there?
- How will my family manage when i'm in rehab?
- While going, is there a way I can tell my child?
- Who will care for my pet when I go into rehab?
- How can I stay in touch with my loved ones while in rehab?
- How can I obtain treatment straight away?
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Child Care Alternatives For People In Therapy
It can be tough to find a trustworthy person to take care of your child if you are a parent thinking about treatment. While you're in treatment, there are several options available for child care.
The best choice is usually someone who your children already know and trust who is close to your family.
Contact us instantly on 0800 772 3971 for support in getting the correct therapy.
Parents in rehab usually reach out to their
- Boyfriend or girlfriend
- Brothers or sisters
- Your intimate friends
If these individuals have other responsibilities (school, work, etc.), daytime day care may assist greatly bridge the gap. There are treatment facilities that offer services to care for children or will link you up to a child care services provider.
Some treatment centres will allow your kids to stay with you if you are a single parent. Programs like this can treat the child for any mental health issues they might have as well as the parent's addiction.
If you are looking for a treatment centre that will let your kid stay with you, contact us today for assistance.
Letting Your Children Know About Your Journey To Rehab
It's important to talk to your child about your addiction and why you're going to treatment. This will help them in understanding and dealing with your absence. It will as well aid them recognize they're not to accuse.
There are some guidelines to follow when talking to your child
- Learn more about your addiction and treatment.
- Discussing with your children will become easy, depending on the level of your understanding of the two issues.
- Communicate in a language that is appropriate for their age and level of understanding.
- Don't use medical terminology.
- Choose the appropriate time for the talk.
- A relaxed environment that has minimal interruption and distractions is best.
- Know their emotions and the effect your dependence has had on them.
- Say that you are sorry if you made them suffer.
- Create time for questions and answers session and don't hide anything from them.
- Remember to put emphasis on the fact that they are not the cause of your addiction and they cannot control your decisions and choices.
"Seven Cs" have been created by the National Association for Children of Alcoholics help children learn how to cope with drug or alcohol abuse of their parents. In order to remind them that they did not cause the problem, children are encouraged to learn the "Seven C's." It as well offers them hints for how to get used with their parent's dependence.
The Seven Cs For Your Child To Know
- I didn't cause it
- I can't cure it
- I can't control it
- I am able to care better for myself
- By communicating my feelings
- Making smart choices and
- Celebrating me
Non-Profit And Government Child Care Choices
Those who do not have family or friends to look after their children have other options. The first one is non governmental, volunteer-based organizations such as safe families for children. If parents are unable to care for them, organizations like these will help find temporary homes for children. You can rest assured that your children will be safe and sound because the Safe Families for Children organization thoroughly checks its volunteer families. While receiving treatment and after that, the parents of the kids can come for them.
Voluntary foster care placement may be offered in your state if you can't find a program that works for your family's needs. This should be the last choice.
You will be required to sign a Voluntary Placement Agreement (VPA) if you decide to put your kid in foster care. When you do that, you agree to let the Department of Children's Services take custody and care of your kid for a certain time period. Paying child support on a monthly basis might be required of you.
This is an alternative, however frightening it might sound. You only have to ensure that you are present for all necessary court hearings and that you stay dedicated to the conditions of the VPA. Never forget, beating your addiction is the number one thing you can do for you and you child.
Pet Care During Rehabilitation
Pets in many homes are important members of the family. Addicts who have pets are always concerned about the safety of the pets, the same way people with children feel concerned about their kids. When friends or family are not in a position of caring for your pet as you seek treatment, there are a number of alternatives.
Most boarding facilities have long term options, but this can cost a lot of money. Getting a sitter for your pet may be an affordable alternative especially for pets that need little care such as fish, cats or rodents. Pet sitters will come to your house a pre established amount of times a week to care for your pets. Others will go to the extent of letting your pets live with them till you come back. This is very suitable for dogs and other animals that require great care.
Release enough information, such as the emergency numbers of your animal clinic or vet, the medical records of the pet, and how to care for it, for the pet giver if you must put them in the custody of someone. It is also good to inform the animal clinic or vet that your pet will be in another person's care for the duration you will be in treatment.
Some rehabilitation facilities allow pets to come with their patients if you are sure that you can't be away from your pet. However, these types of facilities are still in small numbers even though this option is gaining popularity. Traveling to another state or city might be your only option in this case. However, you will probably be able to find a facility that lets pet visit you if you are not able to find one that will let them stay with you.
Visitation With Loved Ones During Treatment
Many programs regard loved ones a huge section of your healing program and their help will be really significant to your recuperation.
To aid you adapt, guests and any kind of communication (phone calls, email, etc.) are generally not accepted for a duration of 3-7 days after reporting.
Many facilities let you have visitors when this first week passes.
Some let you have visitors every week or month, while others will even allow you to be visited during your free time every day. The period of visitation as well changes with plan.
Guests may require to be accepted by a counsellor and added to a guests list so that they can meet you. Make sure that your friends and family fulfill the stipulated requirements by checking the facility policies.
When In Rehab Communicating With Loved Ones
Even when receiving treatment, you can still get in touch with your loved ones using many channels. Programs are different but many of them will allow the use of phones and email or internet during specific times. Sending and receiving letters is also permitted.
Some places will even allow you to receive care packages from your loved ones. Staff will probably check any care packages for safety reasons. You can find out from the administration of the facility about prohibited items that are not allowed in care packages.
In some cases you can be offered family therapy. Your loved ones are affected by your addiction, too. These meetings give chance for recognition of every person's emotions and treatment by all.
Monetary Help For Your Family Whilst In Rehab
The expense of dependence rehab can be a big financial load, more so if your blood relation loses an origin of revenue when you're in therapy. There are a number of ways you can reduce the financial pressure as you go along. These include
- You can consider the time you spend at the centre as part of your paid time off or sick leave if you have a discussion with your boss about it.
- Even if you don't have enough to cover the entire time, you'll still receive a pay check during some of your time in treatment.
- Ask friends and family for assistance.
- Your medical bill or other bills may be taken care of by individuals who are ready to lend a helping hand.
- Confirm with your health insurance firm to check whether they'll cover a section of your rehab.
- To take care of the medical expenses occurred during recovery, the Affordable Care Act Medicaid / Medicare give some suggestions.
- You can also enquire your boss if they provide short-term disability and if so whether the program caters for substance and alcohol rehabilitation.
- These are different ways to help reduce the financial impact.
- Check if the therapy base gives payment options or financing to make payments be easier.
Get in touch with your lenders and ask them to extend your loan or the day to pay if your family are unable to keep up with the payment in your absence. Most people understand addiction and will support the steps you are taking to get sober and will be happy to work alongside you.
Addiction Treatment Is The Best Solution For Your Family And You
Having concerns about going into treatment and leaving your family behind is completely normal. You will rarely find anyone who did not have similar misgivings as they went into rehab. But it's important to get the help you need and not to let these concerns dissuade you. Your family and you will benefit if you can put your addiction behind you.
Don't spend one more second of your lives on addiction.